The verdict of our tester:
The ebermannstadt pastor zlatko kidjemet has proven that the church still has something to say to people today. He vividly explained the words of the reading, impressively explaining the christian message. Meanwhile: the front pews remained empty. Youth worshipers? Missing. This dilemma can be seen particularly clearly in the number of altar servers, who years ago assisted the pastor in fours and sixes. This time, just one female altar server attended the service. Do the services offered by the catholic church fail to meet the needs of adolescents and young adults?? If so, it is a "phased out item". Small ray of hope: the seniors went to communion almost without exception, celebrated holy mass with everything that goes with it. But the question remains: quo vadis church?
The ratings in detail:
In the church all lights go on. The priest, accompanied by an altar server, a lector and a communion helper, walks down the aisle. The organist pulls out all the stops. On the console, the fingers seem to glide over the keys by themselves. In the freely chosen piece, the spectrum ranges from delicate tones to the almost inexhaustible, boundless experience of the horns. A majestic, solemn beginning to the service. By the way: in ebermannstadt, a total of seven organists share the musical arrangement of the church services. 2. Music the organist masters his instrument. The choice of songs, however, raises questions, because quite a few of the churchgoers close their gotteslob. Others seem to have trouble singing along, because they often lag behind the organist by up to one note. Real solemnity therefore does not arise. But at the end of the service, the organist once again gives free rein to his musical-artistic ambitions during a fantasy – while most of the service-goers are already leaving the church. 3. Reading/gospel
The reading is from the epistle to the hebrews and emphasizes the power of faith, illustrated by the example of abraham, who set out for a land without knowing it. His wife sarah trusted in god to have another child, even though she had already passed childbearing age.
In the gospel of luke, read by pastor kidjemet, the servants waiting for their master to return from a wedding are in the center of attention. But they do not know when he will be back again. It is important to be prepared for the arrival of the lord, the message says. Both passages are recited loudly and clearly. 4. Sermon
Idols like james bond actor daniel craig, singer justin bieber and racing driver louis hamilton are in the center of the sermon. But priest kidjemet makes it clear that in life it is not the bank account, the voice or the driving skills that matter.
Celebrities are idols, but true role models are people who stand up for their convictions. In this way, the priest makes the connection to people who have also gone through inconveniences for their conviction. This, in turn, is only possible if someone is deeply rooted in faith and has unshakeable trust.
Such faith needs role models, says zlatko kidjemet. But these are not the people with an impeccable lifestyle, as they appear in the legends of the saints, but those people who exemplify their attitudes and convictions. Parents are the best role models, especially when they live their relationship with god in everyday life.
Everything that parents do or do not do has an effect on their children and thus on their future. From a theological point of view, this means that all who believe in and trust in god have a home in him.
5. Communion/communion surrounded by lyrical organ sounds, almost all service-goers go to holy communion. With the words "the body of christ" priest zlatko kidjemet and two assistants distribute the hosts to the faithful. With measured steps and lowered eyes, they return to the pew, kneel, and pause in reverent silence.
6. Blessing "may the father almighty, the son and the holy spirit bless you". The priest said it and disappeared into the sacristy with a measured stride.
7. Ambience the church in the neo-romanesque style is a hall church without side aisles, spanned by a flat wooden ceiling painted light gray. The entrance is lined with a statue of the heart of jesus and the heart of mary. On the left, on a forked stone stele, there is a statue of the mother of god from the hand of the munich sculptor klaus backmund, a once very controversial representation.
On the opposite wall there is a figure of saint joseph. All around the church walls, stations of the cross in the nazarene style recall christ's suffering.
On the left, saint wendelin turns his gaze toward the high altar; a few meters away, saint aloysius, carved by friedrich theiler from ebermannstadt, looks toward the cross of christ. On the right is the counter figure of st. Anthony of padua, from the time the church was built. The church's patron saint nicholas stands on a console on the right side altar and at the end of this side is enthroned the risen saint carved by friedrich theiler around 1790. Among the impressive figures in the church is a mercy seat from around 1420 and a gothic madonna from around 1500.
8. Church pews the wooden pews are simple but practical. The distance is appropriate, adequate seating comfort is ensured. Kneeling is easier because the kneeling stools are covered with leather.
9. Illumination of the parish st. St. Nicholas modern colored stained glass windows provide invigorating color and brightness. The lighting, which is parallel hanging lights to the left and right of the center aisle. Purposeful, but without any claim to a prize for sparingness.
The parish church st. St. Nicholas, with its theological concept, its images from different stylistic periods, and its new luminous design, is a worthy place of prayer for all believers. With appropriate organ music, a church service can become an experience.
Why a worship test?
The results of our service tests, we know, are purely subjective. Why then this test? Because we believe that a basis for discussion is needed to bring the church and the citizens closer together again. And because we think that the church and faith should not drift further apart. We are therefore looking forward to the dialogue with church representatives, believers and all people who want to share their opinion on this important topic with us. Write to us: [email protected] site all reports in our series can be found on our overview page for the worship test. There you will also find detailed information.