How to transfer a car title in new mexico

The best DAB+ and WLAN radios with Anne-Kathrin Kosch (November 2017)

The state of New Mexico requires that cars have titles that belong to their owners. When a car is bought or sold, or when it is inherited as a gift or after the owner's death, the title must be changed to reflect the new owner's name. Title transfers in New Mexico are not complicated, but the process does require some specific steps for all parties involved.

If you are a buyer

For those who buy a car in New Mexico, the process is pretty simple and straightforward. You will need:

Make sure the seller accurately closes the back of the title.

Make sure the seller gives you a release of lien.

Make sure the seller provides an accurate odometer reading, which is listed in an odometer disclosure notice, application for title and registration, or bill of sale.

You must complete the title and registration application.

You must get insurance on the car.

You will need to prove your residency in the state as well as your identity.

Transfer all of this information, along with the money to pay the transfer and registration fees, to the local MVD office. Title transfer costs $17, and registration varies by vehicle type and length of registration (1 or 2 years). Cost can be as low as $27 or as high as $207.

  • Not make sure the title is filled out correctly
  • Do not get a lien release

If you are a seller

Like buyers, sellers have certain steps that must be completed. These include:

Complete the back of the title and make sure all information is accurately recorded. If there is not enough room or space for mileage, you must use a distance odometer or provide a bill of sale to the buyer with this information.

Give the buyer a lien.

If you are giving away or inheriting in New Mexico

If you are giving or receiving a vehicle in New Mexico, the process is the same as listed above, except that the recipient must complete an Affidavit of Gift of Motor Vehicle or Boat and have it notarized.

Inheriting a vehicle in the state, on the other hand, is complicated and will vary greatly depending on the situation. For example:

If the estate is approved, the administrator will handle all payouts.

If the estate is not probated and there is no will, the surviving spouse or heir takes over all payouts.

In all cases, the title cannot be transferred sooner than 30 days after death.

All instances require the death certificate.

If unwilling, the person accepting the property must complete a certificate of transfer with no proof required.

Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: