For the region and the small town of herzogenaurach, this meant first of all, as everywhere else in europe around 1816/17 and 1847/48, starvation and widespread poverty, and then above all the transformation from a clothier's town to a shoemaker's town, as well as a population increase from 1383 inhabitants in 1813 to almost double that by the end of the century. This in turn meant that people had to move closer together within the old city walls, and at the same time new living space was now being used outside the walls. The "suburb" was created in the east in the direction of the cemetery with the largest building project since 1899, the liebfrauenhaus, and also in the west in the "kalchgrubn" (today's wurzburger strabe) was built.
Around the rahmberg
In contrast to the "coarse peasants or. Most of the "little people" lived in the respected craftsmen who owned the twelve coarse houses between the town towers in the southern main street and the coarser courtyards in the back alley mainly on the "lower and upper rahmberg" hills, i.E. Between today"s schweinhirtenturm and the rahmberg tower at the wiwa pond.
The tour of the city took visitors to the eastern and northern parts of the old town, along the remains of the outer city walls to the wiwa pond and the herdsmen"s moat. They learned that herzogenaurach was actually an ackerburgerstadt, which meant that, with a few exceptions, most herzogenaurach residents were "part-time farmers" in today"s parlance and most of them were working in a skilled trade. Shortly after the "incorporation due to the bavarian crown, about 30 clothiers, twelve linen weavers and eight toolmakers lived in herzogenaurach (around 1811/12), as well as the craftsmen that could be found everywhere in a small town: butchers and turners, tanners and saddlers, locksmiths and blacksmiths, not to mention twelve bakers and seven butchers.
Passing the former weavers" houses on the upper rahmberg, the path gradually led into the city center, where the ownership of the buildings could be seen in the back alley, the moat and finally in the main street. In herzogenaurach"s oldest burger house at steinweg 5, the participants were able to understand that they once lived in a "two-room house" on the first floor there was a kitchen, a living room and often a workshop, and on the upper floor, accessible from the outside, there was a common bedroom for the whole family.
With a "small people"s meal", a hearty mushroom stew at the inn "kreis"l, the city tour came to a close.